Friday, February 12, 2010

Twilight / Stephenie Meyer

Twilight

by

Stephenie Meyer

published by Atom in 2005
read by Agamedes in July 2009
fantasy (romance)
book 1 of Twilight

What a great book! Teen angst, smouldering good looks, love at first sight -- and I do mean love, not lust... The angst is not, should we have sex, but should I rip out her throat and drink her blood. The morality is pure Biggles: I gave my word therefore that is what I shall do. When the heroine kisses the hero she faints -- because she forgot to breathe! Wow! Hey, it’s all over the top -- but a lot of fun. The only dislikeable character is so two-dimensional that he barely registers except as a threat, soon resolved. I also like -- and fully support -- the idea that a vampire can choose to suck blood or not. I’m looking forward to reading the next Twilight book. But I will read some unrelated books first; there’s a limit to how much teenage love I can handle in one sitting. Speaking of which, a good solution to a teenage girl’s yearnings: the boyfriend is both a fellow teenager and an experienced, older man...

Agamedes' rating: 7 out of 10

No comments: