Sunday, February 21, 2010

Courage of Falcons / Holly Lisle

Courage of Falcons

category: fantasy, author:

Holly Lisle

book 3 of The Secret Texts
published by Gollancz in 2000,
read in November 2009 (and before, in March 2007)

Agamedes' opinion:

When I read this, at first I did not realise that I had read it before (in March 2007). The start was just so unfamiliar... About half way through I did begin to suspect. In fact, it was in my reading of book 2, that I first began to suspect -- because the big battle that I vaguely remembered just did not happen! But here it is, in book 3. Ah well, so much for memory. Anyway, it's a good book. Lots of fun, likeable characters, sympathetic baddies who still get their come-uppance. A satisfying conclusion -- every set problem solved -- but strong suggestions that today's victory will bring new adventures for more books. I do like Lisle's approach to plot and conclusions: disposal of the various baddies is done at various logical points in the book, rather than dragged out to a grand finale. I mean, the "Dragons" from 1000 years ago are wiped out very early. The three evil torturers from book 1 are killed just past the middle. The "evil device" is then destroyed. And there is still time -- and tension -- to battle a final few bad guys, right to the last few pages. No extremes of tension, perhaps, but good action and adventure from beginning to end.

Agamedes' rating: 7 out of 10


..o0o..
This blog is supported by Agamedes Consulting. For an independent and thoughtful review of your own documents, email nick leth at gmail dot com.

No comments: