Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Orbit / Thomas Block

Orbit
by Thomas Block
science fiction

copyright 1982
read in August 2022

rated 7/10: well worth reading

I started reading and thought, What a load of old cliché. But it grew on me.
Having launched into orbit, the rest is reasonable. Also reasonable is that it's the people who cause all the trouble. Egos, power-plays, cover-ups  and prickly personalities. The science is straightforward by comparison.

There are a few well-signposted non-surprises. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that there was no surprise with the subject of the first
live TV images.
Then there is the possibility of sabotage: Three suspects... will it be the one with the German name?
I don't know... I'm deliberately writing this review before all is revealed. There's enough doubt that I will be happy (I think) with any result.
Interesting: The rescue of passengers and crew is the least of my questions. Not that it's obvious, just that it's a plot-driver rather than a source of tension.

I was expecting rubbish. The book is surprisingly good.
There. I've finished. If anything could go wrong -- it did. Worse than a soap opera wedding, really.
With risk of destruction right up to the last second, how exciting! And I admit it, I did get caught up in the countdown to disaster.
 Cliched but fun :-)



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

If you're not a part of the solution, then you're part of the vast majority. (Alfred E. Neuman)

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: