Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Chrysalids / John Wyndham

The Chrysalids
by John Wyndham

science fiction

copyright 1955
read (again) in October 2015

rated 8/10: really quite good

There's no shortage of new science fiction books to be read. No shortage of unread fantasy novels. My usual approach is to read anything and then decide whether or not it was worth reading...
Recently, though, I have felt the need to read a book that I know I will enjoy. I have just re-read -- and enjoyed -- the Harry Potter series. Next, I thought... it's time to re-read The Chrysalids.

The Chrysalids is, I guess, a science fiction classic. It was written when nuclear war was seen as a serious threat -- and a regular topic for science fiction stories. Wyndham takes nuclear holocaust, names it as "the Tribulation", and sees a far-future, positive result.

Positive ? Only if you support the notion of continual improvement of the human race !

The story itself is quite simple. It was written when a single storyline from a single point of view was considered to be an essential element of a good novel. It is also complete in itself, with a beginning, middle and actual end. (Though I would enjoy reading about the subsequent adventures of Michael and Rachel.)

Chrysalids is traditional science fiction: the exploration of a single (though complex) idea. It is the exploration of "what if" nuclear war resulted in this particular development... Within a human story, to gain the sympathy of the reader.

There is also a lot of "philosophical" discussion, by characters presenting the author's views. Views on the essence of humanity, the need for change, the fear of change... Yes, it interrupts the flow of the story. But not enough to stop me reading.

The book is also more "adult" than it was when I read it as a younger adult... There is sex and torture and death and violence -- much of which went unnoticed on my earlier readings. The references to off-screen sex, I simply didn't notice. Nothing graphic, so nothing worth noting. The torture, death and violence were simply accepted, with the callous acceptance of relative youth.
Interesting.

An enjoyable book, with many thought-provoking ideas. Somewhat dated in its style but still easy to read. Definitely worthy of being classed as, "a classic".

====
Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!

21mar18:

This time I do notice some "new" things... First, there are several times when the characters present arguments in favour of conservation. Or views from the "green" side of several issues which were then current -- and which are just as relevant today. Our "civilisation" may be improving. That doesn't mean that we -- humanity -- are improving what we are doing.

And the other thing that I notice: there is sex. Not explicit sex but clearly stated, sex has happened. Goodness! How did I miss that before?!

An excellent book, one of Wyndham's best. Somewhat old-fashioned but still relevant. And still enjoyable.

   

No comments: