Thursday, October 22, 2015

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
by Lewis Carroll

fantasy, children

copyright 1865
read (again) in October 2015

rated 7/10: well worth reading

Light, enjoyable, funny, clever... A series of set-pieces rather than a novel. A series of skits which are funny on the surface -- and logical absurdities as you read deeper.

Okay, the literary world has had 150 years to analyse this book. Literary world inhabitants have analysed the meaning and style in great depth. Literary world invaders have attempted to destroy monuments dedicated to the author. People on holiday in the literary world have enjoyed the simple pleasure of reading a book which entertains.

Alice is a children's book that can be read by adults. Children can enjoy the silly adventures in crazy situations. Adults can appreciate the logical conundrums... or just enjoy the silly adventures in crazy situations. The book can be enjoyed by adults because it is not speaking down to children.

And you know what was the first thought in my mind as I started to write this review ? It was, the title...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is better known as, Alice in Wonderland. The full title may be fine in print, we can glance at it and read on. But when the book -- or movie -- is being marketed, we need a short and snappy title... Drop a couple of words, make it short, make it memorable. Make it easy to market, on posters and in jingles.

It's a short book. The abbreviated title fits easier into the smaller mind.

Am I being cynical ? Well, yes. But it's my review. If I have what I consider to be an interesting thought... it's my blog and I'll write what I think :-)

And I think that Alice's Adventures in Wonderland -- or even Alice in Wonderland -- is an enjoyable book. Enjoyable, clever, funny. And well worth reading.



====
Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
   

No comments: