Sunday, October 25, 2015

2312 / Kim Stanley Robinson

2312
by Kim Stanley Robinson

science fiction

copyright 2012
read in October 2015

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

I read about 140 pages of this book, waiting for something to happen. Waiting for some plot to happen. Waiting for some happening that would attract my interest...

Finally, a possible bit of action. Action beyond the day-to-day description of weird yet uninteresting people leading weird yet uninteresting lives, that is.

Another 30 pages of reading -- and the tedium is still there.

Enough.

This book -- in the less than one third that I can be bothered reading -- is boring. Full of artistic, musical and literary references. So the author is an artistic showoff. So what.

There are also separate chapters of science. Oh look ! How clever am I ?! writes the author. A more competent author would include the science in the story, rather than as interruptions to the flow of... well... the flow of non-action.

Still, it's readable. Sort of. By skim-reading, I managed to keep going. Yet I could not shake the thought, continually in the background of my mind, of, Good grief, will this never end ?!

Do you enjoy reading books by poncey authors who like to show off their knowledge ? If you do then this book is -- I guess -- readable. Something to read to pass the time. To pass a lot of ultimately wasted time.

It may be relevant to tell you why I finally stopped reading...

There is a quote. I searched the internet for the source of the quote. Found a web page of quotes about mountaineering... Dozens of quotes with no connection other than the climbing of mountains...

The page of quotes is more interesting than the book. Oh, and yes, the title of the book really is, 2312. Yawn.

Time to give up reading. You may be tougher than me... Try reading it -- if you can't find a page of mountaineering quotes.

====
Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
   

No comments: