Monday, November 9, 2020

Trail of Lightning / Rebecca Roanhorse

Trail of Lightning
(Sixth World #1)
by Rebecca Roanhorse

fantasy

copyright 2018
read in November 2020

rated 8/10: really quite good

My first thought was, seven out of ten, well worth reading. The reason for the extra point is somewhat embarrassing. And I just removed "chicklit" from the category. It's fantasy -- a very broad category.

Both fantasy and science fiction are -- in this blog -- very broad categories. I seldom bother to add a second category... Unrealistic, I know. But if I see either category -- I want to read it. No need for further explanation. (Also, if my wife sees either category, she does not want to read it.) So why analyse further.

Back to the book: there is action, there are good characters, there is a reasonable plot, the setting is very good.

The setting is a post-apocalyptic reservation gone back to native american mythology. Mythological monsters and tribal powers in full operation. Set in -- I hate to say it -- a Wild West form of civilisation.

The powers and monsters are, I guess, fully Navajo. It's a fantasy world in the USA.

The back cover says, "One of the brightest Indigenous futurist visionaries working today." Well, I disagree with futurist visionary: the author has written an excellent, action-packed fantasy. There may be an element of what-if but it is not a vision, not a prediction, of the future.

Then there is, "Indigenous". The book is all (again, I guess) Navajo myths, Navajo country, Navajo people. Yet there is no attempt to sell the benefits of the Noble Savage. No attempt to push the superiority nor the suffering of the Navajo.

It is a story which takes a Navajo environment as the ... theme? ... of a fantasy novel. Indigenous is irrelevant -- though interesting. And I added a point to my rating, for avoiding the easy option of, look at me, I'm Indigenous.

The heroine is tough but beautiful. The hero is soooo good looking. Chicklit? Almost... Yet the obvious attraction is an essential part of the plot. Elements of, but not pure, chicklit.

Very enjoyable.




Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

"When someone does something wrong, don't forget all of the things they did right." ... anonymous

   

No comments: