Thursday, November 26, 2020

The Slynx / Tatyana Tolstaya

The Slynx
by Tatyana Tolstaya
translated from Russian by Jamey Gambrell

fantasy

copyright 2003
started reading Nov 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Clever satire, I thought, as I started reading. Clever, humorous, imaginative. I wonder what will happen next?

Well. Nothing happened next.

Okay, I only read 50 pages (of 300) but nothing had happened. A lot is what I would call, scene setting. Great stuff but, so what.

I skipped to the end. Why did you not die in the fire, a character asks. We decided not to, is the reply, as the not-dead people float away... Okay, fantasy.

I believe that this book is satire. Poking fun at -- I guess -- Russian society. There's a limit to how much satire I can handle -- making points about a society that I know little about. Maybe something happens in the 250 pages I skipped? Who cares.

The main character is narrow-minded and ignorant. Not "a product of his times" rather, born thick in a society which discourages thinking. He has no interest in improving his life, I have no interest in the rest of his life. I stop reading.

Note on the translation: Brilliant! Just like Asterix: the language of the original must be very clever, the English version is both clever and... it's hard to believe that it is translated from a different language.

The style is distinct. The word-plays are cleverly used. The story is -- at least to page 50 -- boring.




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

The best part of [Triple J's Hottest 100] is watching everyone realise they've aged out of the demographic for [Triple J's Hottest 100] ... John Birmingham"

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: