Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Medusa Chronicles / Baxter & Reynolds

The Medusa Chronicles
by Stephen Baxter & Alastair Reynolds

science fiction

copyright 2016
opened in January 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

I've read about 20 pages and the book has not been interesting. Some discussion, some exploration of a big ship with several repeats of how really really big it is. Meetings with several cardboard characters. So far the main point seems to be, that the main character is not happy and not pleasant.

I suspect that it will be tedious but interesting, so I rate it at six. I'm just not interested in reading any further.

I think I was put off by the blurb on the back cover: "As centuries unfold..." Hints of an episodic history rather than an interesting story.
===

Ah, yes, I was right... I wanted to write the essential review before confirming my bias. Having now checked: Yes, Baxter is the author who can take an idea from Terry Pratchett -- and create a whole series of really boring books. Decision confirmed, I will not read further.




Nick Lethbridge  /  consulting dexitroboper
===
"I took out a loan to pay for an exorcism. If I don't pay it back, I'm going to get repossessed." … Olaf Falafel
===
   

No comments: