Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Bear and the Serpent / Adrian Tchaikovsky

The Bear and the Serpent
(Echoes of the Fall #2)
by Adrian Tchaikovsky

fantasy

copyright 2017
read in November 2019

rated 8/10: really quite good

I remember reading book one and enjoying it. This book two, I also enjoy -- and more. There is an extra depth to this book. Not the characters (all good) nor the plot (complex and satisfying). It's the way that the author deals with the "mystic" side of his fantasy world.

When a character slips over into the parallel world of the gods -- it makes sense. In a fantasy way, that is. It's clear what's happening, there's a logic which supports the plot. Despite dealing with gods, it is not deus ex machina. The gods provide understanding and moral support, the humans then apply themselves to the hard work of solving the problems.

Humans? Definitely a new breed of were-people, very human. With the added dimension of "animal" characteristics and abilities. Fascinating! And very well done.

At the end I am a bit disappointed... I think it's just that I want more! Major challenges are overcome, battles fought and won, yet the war has only just begun. This is a complex war, there are aspects still only hinted at. I think that my disappointment is, that it will take several books -- many more books? -- to feel that the world is once more safe and settled.

I am disappointed that there is no real end in sight. Nevertheless, this book does end very satisfactorily. And I already have the next book in the series. I look forward to reading it.
===

06feb21: Read it again. Enjoyed it again... perhaps not as much as the first time but I'm still happy with the eight rating. Same thoughts as above, especially the roles of the various gods. Believable and with a good human / god balance.

Strange... I still have not read book three. I wonder if it concludes the series?



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Choice, not chance, determines your destiny" … Aristotle

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



No comments: