Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Mass Effect Andromeda / Hough & Alexander

Mass Effect Andromeda: Nexus Uprising
(*)
by Jason M. Hough, K.C. Alexander

science fiction

copyright 2017
read in November 2019

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

This book is a lead-in to a video game. This purpose shows: the environment is very video game, with corridors, piles of junk, leaking broken pipes and sparking broken wires. As I read I very much have the feeling, this is a video game. Which is -- of course -- the whole point of the book. Well done :-)

So well done that I read up on the video game and am tempted to give it a go.

The story is sufficiently complex, sufficiently exciting, well wrapped up... The end is satisfactorily conclusive -- yet it is an opening to the story of the video game.

I see that one author's "specialty" is imperfect characters... Yes, there are plenty of those. Which is realistic though I would rather have a clear goodie or two. Just my own preference.

There's a lot of bloodshed as the various imperfect characters get driven in directions where they don't really want to go. Oh well. I still would like to read something with a clearer direction... just a personal preference.

On the other hand: this story introduces a video game. In the game -- I guess -- there will be opportunity to take the action in whichever direction you prefer. The book introduces -- quite successfully -- a universe where game play can follow the player's preference.

As a lead-in to a game -- this is a good book. As "a book" -- read to pass the time.
===

(*) I've just checked the web to see if this book is one of a series. Well... sort of.

There are three "Mass Effect Andromeda" books. This one is the first -- yet the other two appear to be prequels. "Appear to be"... I didn't read very much about them. So I'm treating Uprising as a standalone book and the other two are set in the same universe -- but, both, also standalone.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Experience is the comb life gives you once  you're bald" … per Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)

No comments: