Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Falcon Throne / Karen Miller

The Falcon Throne
(Tarnished Crown #1)
by Karen Miller

fantasy

copyright 2014
read a bit in February 2018

rated 5/10: readable but only if there's nothing else

On the cover it says, "a major new fantasy epic begins". Since it's "epic" there is a lot happening: several stories and lots of characters are introduced. It's all done very well -- I have little trouble following the action and the main characters are distinct.

I am just not in the mood for an epic series. I always prefer a story with a beginning, a middle -- and an end. Perhaps this book does have a satisfactory end, I don't know. But I do know that when an epic begins -- the first book will end with a lot of loose threads.

Worse yet, I did not like the characters. There are perhaps two -- of the dozens -- who are vaguely sympathetic. I am guessing that their underdog status will not improve. Not for several books, anyway. The rest of the characters, well, I don't like them and don't want to read about their inevitable bloody rise to power.

I rate this as five out of ten... and stop reading because I do have other books to read. If you are looking to read a new fantasy epic -- the book is worth more than that. Unless you enjoy a happy ending. That, I suspect, will be a long time coming. If it comes at all.
===

PS: A quick internet search indicates that this "epic" may be just two books. Which is better than some of the interminable rubbish series which go nowhere. But still too much to read when I don't like the characters.





Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"You're only young once but you can stay immature forever" … per Ginger Meggs

===

No comments: