Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Magic Kingdom For Sale, Sold / Terry Brooks

Magic Kingdom For Sale, Sold
(#1 of Landover)
by Terry Brooks

fantasy

copyright 1986
re-re-read in February 2018

rated 7/10: well worth reading

Lawyer buys a magic kingdom, sets himself up as king. What could go wrong?

I suspect that there was a lot more suspense the first time I read this book... This time, I knew (roughly) what was going to happen. And still enjoyed it!

I also know (this time) that this is the first of a series of books. Which makes it interesting that we -- as readers -- visit all the key locations and people of the kingdom. (At least, I think we do!) I've read a few of the subsequent books and I don't remember thinking, Yeah, yeah, I've seen all this before. It's a kingdom with a lot of potential for further adventures.

The characters are not great but they are pleasant... and varied.
I do seem to remember that at least one book in the series was a bit weak. But this first book, is well worth reading.

03aug23: I've read it again, it's still enjoyable... with some new opinions...

I've recently read two other books by this author.
Those two are in his "Shanarra" series. This book is so much better. Shanarra books seem to have one plot between them: Ignore advice re danger, sneak off on an adventure, fight monsters, come near to death, sing a magic song which solves all problems.
Magic Kingdom has an actual plot.
On the other hand... my current woke sensibilities are often offended by the hero. Sure he's a king, giving orders is what old-style kings do, Kicking cringing peasants is never acceptable.
He is very old-style macho. He faces danger alone -- to protect his supporters, apparently. Though I have the impression that really, he believes them to be incompetent.
Then his girlfriend is dying and his patriarchal ego shines through. Don't die, he cries... Don't you dare do that to me. Good grief.







Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Avoid criticism: say, do and be nothing." … per Ginger Meggs

===

No comments: