Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Book of Taltos / Steven Brust

The Book of Taltos
(Vlad Taltos 1 and 6)
by Steven Brust

fantasy

copyright 1988, 1990
read in October 2016

rated 8/10: really quite good

===


17nov21: Yep, re-read both books. Enjoyed them both. Other than that, I won't comment on my original reviews (below).

This one volume containes two books in the Vlad Taltos saga: Taltos and Phoenix. In an Author's Note, Brust comments on the recommended order of reading the series. Should they be read in publication order, or by the chronological sequence of events?

For the keen reader, reading in publication order makes sense. Otherwise you need to wait till the author has finished writing all of the books, before it is safe to begin the first... I would like to read them in chronological sequence. In reality, I read the books as I find them.

This one volume contains the first and the sixth books in chronological sequence. They cover the beginning of the hero's career in the Organization, and his career's (apparent) ending. A good combination to read together -- despite the missing four books!

book one: Taltos
copyright 1988
rated 8/10: really quite good

Vlad Taltos begins his career as an assassin. The main story is interspersed with minor flashbacks, explanation as to how he became what he is. Each chapter begins with an italicised section which has no apparent role -- except to prove itself to be essential for the grand finale. Does that sound rather complicated?

I have read three of the "missing" four books. I read them well before I read these two. As I read those missing books I often thought, Have I missed something? Is there a missing first book? It seems that there was... Unfortunately, the missing "first" book was written a decade after the others.

Did Brust know -- ten years before he wrote it -- what was in the as-yet-unwritten first book? Or did he take vague thoughts and -- ten years later -- complete the story? Either way, I'm impressed :-)

This is a good book. It can be read alone. (That's the author's intention. I believe it works. Having already read others in the series, I can't be absolutely sure.) For me, this book fills in gaps in the saga.

"Taltos" completes the beginning of the Taltos saga. It is also a great read.

book two: Phoenix
copyright 1990
rated 7/10: well worth reading

And so we skip over several adventures -- including gaining a wife. The assassin and established crime-lord now faces major threats -- and separation from his wife.

This book is every bit as enjoyable as book one, yet I have rated it slightly lower. Why?! Because Taltos fills in gaps. Phoenix opens more gaps... Taltos is highly satisfying. Phoenix makes me want more. If I ever read the entire series in one sitting -- I will probably rate Phoenix as an eight :-)

Taltos now works well with his friends and with his employees. His book one self-assured wiseguy dealings with "authority" covered nervousness. He talked back yet understood that he could, at any moment, be utterly destroyed. Now he talks back because he means what he says. (Mostly.) He could still be destroyed but he has more confidence that he will survive.

These two books were written one after the other. The in-between character-building books were written years before. Brust easily deals with the "sudden" growth in his hero's character... Again, I am impressed :-)

Phoenix is clearly a continuation of the saga of Vlad Taltos, Jhereg and assassin. It is also, clearly, a new beginning.


in August 2023: I have just re-read Phoenix.

In this (and other books) Taltos and his wife have moved apart. It actually makes the relevant books less enjoyable. Somewhat uncomfortable.

This time, I have read about Brust in Wikipedia. Interesting... Brust himself had a marriage breakdown. The Taltos marriage breakdown can be read as a reflection of the author's own problems. And, perhaps... as an explanation of his own side of the real-life breakdown.

====


Yes, I have already read one of the "future" books. That one (if I remember correctly) was still not a clear direction to an end of the saga.

Where to next? I don't know. But I do look forward to finding out.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"I'm leaving my body to science fiction" … per Ginger Meggs

   

1 comment:

Nick, Consulting Dexitroboper said...

January 2018: I re-read both books. And enjoyed both books. Each book can be read alone but having read other Taltos books definitely adds to the reading enjoyment.