Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Steelheart / Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart
(The Reckoners 1)
by Brandon Sanderson

young adult, fantasy

copyright 2013
read in October 2016

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

Here's an interesting coincidence: I was reading this book while, in the background, Bowling for Columbine was on TV. To me, guns and shooting deaths and shooting massacres are all part of the American ethos. Make guns illegal and the deaths will still be a part of American life. It's part of what makes America what it is.

Are we -- non-Americans -- glad that America joined WW2 ? Mostly, yes. Are we glad that Americans on a French train attacked and subdued terrorists? Yes. Americans may want peace but they are very definitely willing to *fight* for peace. Removing guns will not change that.

All the sanctimonious hand-wringing will not change the essential nature of Americans. Gun control is pointless. Attitudinal control may work: accept the tendency to violence, make it socially *un*acceptable to be *pointlessly* violent.

So that's my opinion :-) And where is the coincidence?

Steelheart is a fine example of the American attitude to violence. As are many, many other American books and TV shows and movies.

In Steelheart: The world has gone to wrack and ruin. The response of the all-American teen hero is -- to kill the villains. To kill their hench-people. To arm himself with super-weapons... while not harming any innocent bystanders. He would, I am sure, have loved Mom and apple pie, if he had not been an orphan living hand-to-mouth on the mean streets of the steel city...

See a problem? Kill it. The all-American answer.

Which is not to say that I disagree ! Americans are fighters, fighters for rights and justice, other people may have less violent attitudes. That's part of what makes America great. (If that's what you believe. This is just my own opinion.)

And while we wring our hands and say, how can an American teenager take a gun and kill so many people? ... we enjoy reading books which support that same violent approach to problem resolution.

So yes, I enjoy reading this book. It just -- by coincidence -- makes me think about the violence underlying American society. Which I support -- in part -- though I am glad that I don't live in America. I can understand it; I don't want to be part of it. Because I'm not an American. For better or for worse.

If you too enjoy this book -- don't then knock the American tendency to violent methods for solving problems.

====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"If all the world's a stage, the director deserves a pay cut." … per Ginger Meggs

   

No comments: