Monday, January 31, 2011

The Return of the King / J.R.R. Tolkien

The Return of the King

category: fantasy, author:

J.R.R. Tolkien

book 3 of The Lord of the Rings
original copyright 1954,
read in January 2011 (and before, at least 15 times, since March 1970)

Agamedes' opinion: 10 out of 10

The edition that I'm reading has illustrations by Alan Lee. Brilliant! This illustrated edition was a treat to myself, after many years of reading a one volume paperback. A paperback which was gradually falling apart from heavy use.

So I bought the three volume illustrated hardback. Every so often I take it out and read it. Or read just a section... There is a great pleasure in reading a great book. There is a great -- but separate -- pleasure reading a book which also looks and feels good.

Other than that, what can I say?

Eowyn on the Pelennor Fields still brings a tear to my eyes. I smile, as Strider tells Merry to ask the herb-master for some pipe-weed. I worry, as the hobbits move so slowly back to the inevitable trouble back home in the Shire.

The story has a clear structure to it, perhaps a little too formal: peace, adventure, peace for recovery, then on to the next adventure. Each adventure is a little more dangerous than the last. There is always a moment of peace, for recovery before the next adventure. Then the story winds down, with smaller but still essential adventures...

Is this too structured? too formal? Perhaps. Yet this is "the original" Middle Earth fantasy. An entire world is imagined. A formal structure helps the reader to understand the world.

Some tales never end, though people may drop out of the tale. The Lord of the Rings is part of a much larger tale but it is complete in itself. This story is the story of Frodo, and his part in the larger tale of the One Ring. The book ends when Frodo drops out of the story.

I keep a summary list of my reviews. One piece of data is headed, "am I dead keen to read more?" For The Lord of the Rings my answer is, No. Are you surprised?

The Lord of the Rings is a complete book, a story with a clear beginning and a clear end. Yes, it is a part of a larger tale. So what?

There are more stories that could be told. More stories of Middle Earth, more stories of the One Ring. Frodo's story is, however, complete in itself.

There may be other stories of Middle Earth worth writing, worth reading.

When I finish reading The Lord of the Rings, that part of the story is complete.

I am satisfied with the story and with the ending.

It may be interesting to read more.

There is no need to read any more.


..o0o..
These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.
For an independent and thoughtful review of
your processes, problems or documents,
email nickleth at gmail dot com.

No comments: