Monday, January 31, 2011

My Name is Denise Forrester

My Name is Denise Forrester

category: fantasy, author:

Nick Brooks

original copyright 2005,
read in January 2010

Agamedes' opinion: 6 out of 10

I didn't get very far with this book.

I think that some people would enjoy it. I didn't.

The blurb refers to Denise Forrester as "a changeling child". To me, that means, swapped at birth with a fairy child. So, fairies... fantasy...

As far as I can tell -- from as far as I read -- Denise is a weird kid. Really weird. With a sister who is just as weird and -- possibly -- imaginary. This is a story of one child -- or possibly two children -- who live a fantasy life.

But not -- again, as far as I can tell -- not a fantasy life with fairies. A fantasy life of their own imaginations.

I categorise the book as "fantasy". I don't really think that it is. But I just can't bear to categorise it as "humour"...

After a few weird chapters -- chapters which seemed to jump backwards and forwards in time, as well as from place to place -- I read the comments on the back. "Made me laugh out loud..."

Oh.

It's fuuunny...

Okay, it may be funny.

But, as my mother used to say, "subtle". Meaning... I just don't get it.

On the other hand... This is a readable book. If you know what is going on -- if you understand how funny it is to be a weird outsider, taunted and bullied by all the other children, forced to retreat into a fantasy world of your own -- then you may enjoy this book.

It's not a bad book. It may be worth the one cent that Amazon claim is its current price. Feel free to give it a go.


..o0o..
These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.
For an independent and thoughtful review of
your processes, problems or documents,
email nickleth at gmail dot com.

No comments: