Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Summer Knight / Jim Butcher

Summer Knight

(category: fantasy)
book 4 of The Dresden Files by

Jim Butcher

published by Orbit in 2005
Nick read a Library book, in March 2010

Nick's rating: 8 out of 10


Nick's opinion:

Did I enjoy this book? Well, I finished reading it. Wondered a bit about the various characters, trying to sort out who was who... then read the book again. Yes, I enjoyed it... the second time, too ! This is only the second Dresden book that I have read; I would like to read the entire series. It seems to me that Summer Knight is slightly darker than Small Favour. In this earlier book (Summer Knight) the hero Harry Dresden is suffering guilt, for imagined failings from earlier books. This book brings him through the guilt; the later book has less emotional baggage. Summer Knight is excellent fun, with a cast of likable characters. Even the villains are not simply evil for the sake of it. Well, not all of them, anyway. Dresden is a wizard with strong and developing powers. He is also a nice bloke. As he says, "For me, chivalry isn't dead; it's an involuntary reflex." I suspect that this book scored high in part because I was in a mood where I needed "a good read"... but is is still, definitely... a good read.


..o0o..

These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.

For an independent and thoughtful review of your own documents,
email nick leth at gmail dot com.


No comments: