Sunday, March 7, 2010

Daggerspell / Katharine Kerr

Daggerspell

(category: fantasy)
book 1 of Deverry by

Katharine Kerr

published by GraftonBooks in 1986/93
Nick read a library book, in February 2010

Nick's rating: 8 out of 10


Nick's opinion:

I was reading The Road, which -- as far as I had read till then -- was solid misery... and I turned to Daggerspell to stop the feelings of despair. So I may be biased. But I certainly did enjoy this book! Sword and sorcery, heroic good guys -- and gals -- and a promise of greater things in the future. The story covers a group of "etheric doubles" -- souls -- who follow their "wyrd" -- or fate -- by being reborn until they get things right. It was hard to remember who was who (whom?!) in each of the three incarnations in the book; they had different names and only one or two mentions of their "original" characters. (If only I'd known about the cross-reference at the end of the book!) So, I simply accepted that each adventure was somehow related -- and enjoyed the final one, where there was a more happy conclusion. Good enough, I thought, to look forward to finding more books in the Deverry series.


..o0o..

These reviews are provided by Agamedes Consulting.

For an independent and thoughtful review of your own documents,
email nick leth at gmail dot com.


No comments: