Thursday, July 25, 2024

Yellowface, Rebecca A F Kuang

ellowface
by Rebecca A F Kuang
horror
copyright 2023
part read July 2024

rated 4/10: bad but could be read

First, that rating: The book is well-written. Just so unpleasant that I could not, or would not, read it.
It starts with a death. Not a problem, the death is advertised on the cover and that death then drives the entire plot.
I was expecting a quick death off screen. Instead, it's a particularly nasty and slow death. Perhaps that's necessary for the plot. What I know is, I read on but was not enjoying it.
Then the plot thickens and the main character does something nasty. To someone who does not deserve it. Absolutely unforgiveable. My feelings shifted from, not enjoying to actively disliking. I skimmed over  most of the book. Even skimming, it was unpleasant. highlighting the nastiness of the world.
I read enough of the final chapters to find out who dun it. Not that it helped, I had skipped over any prior mention of the "villain". Not that I cared.
I did discover that the framing story was quite clever.

I'm fairly certain that the theme of this book is racial prejudice. white v yellow, yellow v white.
Then in the Acknowledgements the author writes that the book is, in part, a horror story and I thought, she's right.
Forget the "dark humour" in the blurb. This is a book with a message -- a message which is unreadable because it is wrapped in rather unpleasant everyday largely psychological horror.





Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===


Happiness is wanting what you already have
   

No comments: