Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Hoka trail shoes

Hoka trail shoes.
Rated 5/10: some good but overall bad.
Use them only suitable if you enjoy running in boots. These shoes are solid and inflexible. tough enough to be light hiking boots (with no ankle support.) But with good grippy tread.

I wanted two things in my new trail shoes: enough length to fit my toes, and plenty of grip. That much works.

But for my style of chi running -- these shoes do not work. In fact they are bad. Causing damage.

Wearing the hoka is like running in moon boots. the shoes provide a firm framework, your foot fits in... or not. The shoes are too solid to allow adjustment with the laces.
My running style is chi-square: I run to suit the natural structure and mechanics of my body, especially the skeleton.
The original, commercial, chi running is "mystic-chi". a lot of the explanation smacks of candles, crystals and chanting of ommmm.
chi-square is more logical... but both versions of chi result in much the same running style.
So I run on the front of my feet. Heels touch briefly, for balance.
Impact is absorbed by the arch of each foot, that's what the arch is for. There is very little impact transmitted through to the knees and hips.

The hoka shoes have a firm sole and thick, stiff sides. The feet are forced into position, there is little ability to flex.
The hoka shoes reduce the ability of the arch of the foot to absorb impact. They also reduce the ability of my leg to flex.
After a couple of hours' gentle running -- I have a sore knee.

The shoes were sold as trail shoes and as also good for road running.
Wrong.
The grippy soles are excellent for loose surfaces on trails.
On a hard surface, the very firm soles prevent the feet from flexing. So what, you say, the road is flat, no need to flex. Except... The grippy doles are a result of deep tread. the tread digs ín and grips a soft surface. On a hard surface -- the treads are not level. Where they touch the ground, they curve. This twists the foot to the side. Just a tiny amount, just enough to twist the leg to one side. Just enough to put sideways pressure  on the knees.
As I ran, I could feel the slight tension. After running -- the side of one knee is sore.
Running impact has been transmitted --at a slight angle -- to my knees. The hoka trail shoes -- running mostly on easy trails -- are already damaging my knees.

I'll try adjusting the lacing. i may be able to force the shoes to fit correctly, I doubt it. These are very firm shoes. Highly inflexible. Built to protect the foot, not to work with the foot. Not safe. Not for a running style which works *with* the body and bones.
But the grip is good.









Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===


As Conan says: What does not kill you
does not kill you

No comments: