Wednesday, March 24, 2021

The Sparrow / Mary Doria Russell

The Sparrow
by Mary Doria Russell

science fiction

copyright 1996
read in March 2021

rated 3/10: so bad it's embarrassing

I read the first sixty pages of slow moving philosophical and religious clap-trap then gave up. Will they ever reach the new planet? I wondered. And skipped over several hundred pages.

Okay, it seems that the story of the new planet will be dragged out -- tedious sentence by tedious sentence -- from the one survivor. I skip to the end, to see if it ever ends.

Some science fiction stories have rules of conduct for first-contact. The standard rules are -- do not interfere. These religious idiots go straight in, to live amongst -- and pervert -- the alien culture.

They teach the natives to grow vegetables; the natives are carnivorous. They encourage the natives to have more children; thus destroying a carefully balanced population. They say, Let us join your society -- without the faintest understanding of that society.

Having read the final chapters I stood up and muttered to myself, Well that was a miserable load of shit. With time for thought -- I cannot think of a better summary.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

I've never had bad luck. Just fits of stupidity... per Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: