Tuesday, March 9, 2021

A Second Chance / Jodi Taylor

A Second Chance
(Chronicles of St Mary's #3)
by Jodi Taylor

fantasy

copyright 2014
read in February 2021

rated 7/10: well worth reading

Okay, I suspect that I alternate categories for this series, sometimes fantasy, sometimes science fiction. Take your pick...

This book could almost be historical romance except... the first rule for these time travellers is, Do not interact. This is modern people (in a somewhat alternate modern universe) acting out their own dramas -- with a background of history.

This third in the series has even more history -- and it is fascinating. Some of the history is true. Some is best-guess. Very little -- I believe -- is pure fantasy. I am continually checking Wikipedia to get an explanation of some historical reference... And that is a sure sign that I am enjoying reading history :-)

On the other hand... the ending uses deus ex machina plus a scientific possibility which spoils the logic of the plot. (Other books use the same "trick". I don't like it. Post a comment if you disagree:-)

The ending also slips into soap opera... But so what? The book is great fun, the series is thoroughly enjoyable... I'm happy with the way that the series continues.

I'm looking forward to reading more of the series.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

All we can do is what we can do... Leonard Barrens in The Forever Watch

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: