Saturday, August 29, 2020

Record of a Spaceborn Few / Becky Chambers

record of a spaceborn few
by Becky Chambers

science fiction

copyright 2018
read in August 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

This is a pleasant story of pleasant people in an interesting situation. We get a guided -- and detailed -- tour of their lives, their physical environment, their worries. Such a pleasant story that the death is a shock. Then it gets nice again.

Yes, it's interesting. It's also... not boring, just... not very exciting. No. It's not exciting at all. Is that a problem? Not really... it is never so uninteresting that I give up reading. But... I go for days at a time not bothering to read further.

I'm wondering if this generation ship civilisation is intended to be a Utopia? It certainly reflects a lot of the concepts I associate with saving the planet: reuse, recycle, live simply, live in harmony... The city motto is, Longevity, stability, well-being. I wonder if this is a deliberate reference to Brave New World's, Community, Identity, Stability? If so, I agree...

It's a world of sweetness and light, of continuity and old-ideas-are-best thinking. A world which would drive me to shouting and fighting and misery.

Luckily, some characters also recognise that this world is not Utopia. Some leave, some leave to get new ideas and return. Others make small changes to improve the system.

And that is about all the action there is.
===

The bulk of the story takes place during the final events of "The Long Way...", the author's earlier book. So we are told. Well, I read that one a few years ago, I have no memory of how the two books could relate. A quick glance at my review and one thing is clear: this author writes sweet stories. With sweet characters.

"Record" is a pleasant book. Pleasant characters. With a lot of interesting ideas. Though the ideas all point in one direction: Wouldn't it be nice if we could all live in this caring and sharing fashion. It's a nice dream. As long as it is possible to escape.
 


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

I'm not cynical… just experienced… per Ginger Meggs

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: