Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Stone Sky / N.K. Jemisin

The Stone Sky
(Broken Earth #3)
by N.K. Jemisin

fantasy

copyright 2017
not read in July 2020

rated 5/10: readable but only if there's nothing else
(I'm only guessing that it is readable)

Book One was really quite good. Book Two was, read to pass the time.

Book Two was drifting from fantasy to a post-apocalyptic blame game, where the world has been destroyed because humans destroyed the natural environment. Still fantasy because humans appear to have upset the super-being who "is" the Earth.

Book three starts with a "prologue: me, when I was I". What?! Okay, the books are told from several points of view, each representing the one character at different ages. (And her daughter.) So yes, I expect to be confused.

Then I read, "In these memories I was someone else, just as the Stillness was someworld else. Then, and now. You, and you." Aaah, rubbish. I read for enjoyment. If I wanted to struggle to make sense of a story I would become an archaeologist.

Then the unsurprising reveal is pushed in the reader's face: Goodness me, this environmental disaster of a world... is Earth! Who'd'a guessed!

So I decided that reading the prologue was enough for me. Until I turned the page and realised that the prologue continued for another six pages.

So I read the last few paragraphs of that prologue. And decided... I am just not interested. And stopped reading.

Because I do have something else to read. Doesn't matter what it is, it will be better. Though, as it turned out, that thought was wrong.




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Please do not feed the fears" … graffiti on a toilet wall

===
Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: