Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Marina / Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Marina
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
translated by Lucia Graves

fantasy

copyright 1999
part read in July 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

I chose this book because it is set in Barcelona. I was in Barcelona a few years back -- and it is an amazing city. Whatever this author captures -- does not match my memories. That's okay, I saw the city as a tourist, a limited perspective.

So I read... and nothing much happens. Or, rather... strange -- illogical -- things happen. Here's something amazing, says the attractive young woman. Ho hum, say I.

I just never get wrapped up in the story. Too much, Oooohhh, isn't this weird. Not enough, This shows why it is weird. Follow an old woman who disappears? So what, standard suspense technique. A row of hanging humanoid dolls? So what, everyone has a hobby, even doll-makers.

There may be potential in this story. I just don't get enough to hint at that potential. Not enough information to even wonder where that missing potential could lead to. Not enough interesting material to even wonder what will happen.

I've identified this book as fantasy, it could also be horror. Depending on what eventually happens. (I read only 40 pages of almost 300.) It could be Cthulthu-style horror -- where nothing ever happens. All mood, no resolution. I don't know.

I have no interest in finding out what happens.

Read to pass the time. Expect to read through boredom. Let me know if anything happens.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Take a lesson from the weather… it pays no attention to what the critics say." … per Ginger Meggs

===
Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: