Wednesday, June 3, 2020

The Obelisk Gate / N.K. Jemisin

The Obelisk Gate
(Broken Earth #2)
by N.K. Jemisin

fantasy

copyright 2016
read in June 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

There's a solid "scientific" basis for the dystopian world of this book. It's still fantasy. Which is neither good nor bad, I just like to be clear :-)

The powers used by the characters are... wow! ... super powers. There's a lot of gosh! wow! going on. Extra powers discovered just in time to save the day. Not to worry, it's an enjoyable book.

The theme of people being hated and feared for being "different" is thoughtful and well done. The message of environmental destruction is there, without interfering with the story.

I read book one five years ago, I was well into this book before I realised it. Part of this is fading memory... Part is that the book is enjoyable but vague. By which I mean, much of the depth -- much of the significance -- is understated, so it does not stick in my mind. Oh, also, I believe that my taste in books has shifted over the years...

I see that I rated book one as eight. I don't believe that book two is as good. Then my current state of, "what I want to read" has brought this book down to six.



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===
"No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway." … per Ginger Meggs
===
Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: