Monday, June 22, 2020

Special Topics in ... / Marisha Pessl

Special Topics in Calamity Physics
by Marisha Pessl

fiction

copyright 2006
partly read in June 2020

rated 5/10: readable but only if there's nothing else

Readable? Sort of. My wife gave up reading it. I lasted 50 pages then skimmed the last few pages. Readable -- sort of -- but not worth the effort.

The book is a continuous series of literary (I think) allusions. The message from the author is, I'm so clever I bet you are not as widely read as I am.

I enjoy a book where the author is clever with words and with references. In this case, I make an exception. So I have not rated it as three, so bad it's embarrassing. After all, I did enjoy the first few pages... till the confusion and lack of coherence sank in.

Up herself, I say. Pretentious, my wife says, and she has read some reviews.

The narrator had a mother who had killed herself and a father who is a -- again pretentious -- dickhead. Then there's a character who apparently hanged herself and the body was discovered by the narrator. So what? Who cares? In 50 pages I never found out, never cared.

Don't bother. Unless you enjoy pretentious, I'm-so-smart, writing by an author who is somewhere up herself.



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===
"No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway." … per Ginger Meggs
===
Dying for you to read my blog, at https: // notdotdeaddotyet .blogspot. com. au/ :-)



No comments: