Sunday, July 29, 2018

cafe: Boubar / Nedlands / 28jul18

My wife and I are stuck in a cafe rut. We regularly go out for "coffee & cake" -- and, as often as not, to one of a small number of "familiar" cafes. It's time to spread ourselves. To drink coffee in a wider variety of cafes.

We pick a cafe theme: Hipster Cafes in the Perth Metro Area. Why that ? Because our son & his wife are creating a list of "hipster cafes" -- and have given me access to the list... An easy way to go beyond the few cafes that we already know and enjoy.

First cafe, first lesson: Check the opening hours before arriving at the door ! Second attempt, more success:

We are almost distracted by parking directly outside Baskin-Robbins. Icecream? asks my wife, plaintively. Coffee & cake, I reply firmly. We cross the road to Boubar.
===

Boubar / Nedlands / 28 Jul 18

Our first impression is of an old, solid, closed door. Is this cafe open ? A sigh of relief as the door opens.

Inside seems small -- room for forty ? A cosy feel.

We cross the room, straight to the counter. I place our coffee order then we take a minute to check the cakes on offer. There are not many cakes, more savoury foods. We select a rosewater & pistachio cheesecake. Our order is written onto the glass top of the counter. Is this a sign of a "hipster" cafe ?

We are reminded of a meal -- forty years ago -- in a restaurant in Paris. There, our order was written on our own paper table-cloth. Before the invention of magic markers, I guess. (A French friend placed that order. I didn't know what she ordered. As we ate it, much of it was still a mystery. Mysterious French cuisine.)

We sit down -- selecting a comfy bench seat -- and look around. As yet, we are not sure what makes a cafe "hipster".

Solid brick interior walls, original plaster scraped off. Old, solid, wood & glass entry door, paint scraped off. A large picture of Astro Boy near the door, nice touch :-) Makes me think of old country cafe... except for Astro Boy. Except that old country cafes tend to be repainted rather than unpainted.

Coffee is good, not exceptional. (Admittedly, my tastebuds have suffered a recent upset and are not entirely dependable.) Temperature is on the cool side, ready to drink -- just as I like it. Ultimate coffee taste test (with my tastebud confusion): it tastes good right to the much cooler end.

The cheesecake is not one that we have seen before -- a plus, we like to try new cakes. It's in three layers: choc biscuit base (very thin), green pistachio middle, pink rosewater top. Topped with a smear of something and a scrap that may be dried strawberry. One of the layers includes coconut, which raises it in my estimation... Overall, an interesting texture with a mild and pleasant taste.
===

As we walk out Deb says, That was nice, we could come here again. I agree. And I quickly develop a cafe rating system: 1=never again; 2=we could come here again, 3=wow! that was good.

Boubar rates a 2/3: good enough, pleasant enough, we could come here again.






Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===


"I've found that there's a reason for everything… I constantly make the wrong decisions." … Pardon my Planet
===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)


No comments: