Thursday, August 2, 2018

Authority / Jeff VanderMeer

Authority
(Southern Reach 2 of 3)
by Jeff VanderMeer

horror

copyright 2014
read in August 2018

rated 3/10: so bad it's embarrassing

It's my own fault that I read this book. I bought one volume containing all three of this trilogy. If I had bought only Annihilation (book one) I would never have opened this book two. But... I spent good money... I'd better read it :-(

I almost gave up within the first few dozen pages. Almost gave up -- many times. What a load of absolute rubbish.

Finally, perhaps half way through, something almost starts to happen. Still rubbish. But at least it isn't one character seeing the world through the warped lens of his own inadequacy. Or insanity. Well, not entirely.

Then there are many many pages of a tedious... chase ? I suspect that the reader is supposed to be worried by the people following and excited by the prospect of catching the person being chased. Instead, I felt the tedium of an author trying to give clever insights into people and life. Ho. Hum.

Then (is this a spoiler ?! ) two characters meet. Make the one interesting revelation of the book. Then jump off a rock and disappear...

Yes, this book has no ending. No explanation. No idea. I'm wondering if book three will manage to reach a conclusion. I wonder if the author has any idea of a conclusion. Unfortunately, I will be forced to find out. Eventually.

Still, I live in hope ! The main character ends this book by jumping into the ocean. Wearing a heavy backpack. I live in hope that book three will begin, Weighed down by his backpack, he drowned.






Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"I've found that there's a reason for everything… I constantly make the wrong decisions." … Pardon my Planet

===


Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com.au/ :-)



No comments: