Saturday, March 3, 2018

Pollyanna / Eleanor H. Porter

Pollyanna
by Eleanor H. Porter

subadult

first published 1913
read in 2016 (approximately)

rated 8/10: really quite good

I'd heard of Pollyanna but had no idea what it was about. Children's book for girls, I thought. Then Pollyanna was mentioned in a book that I was reading, just a passing mention. I suspect that it was mentioned in Doc Smith's Skylark of Space. Because I recently reread that book and I recently read, again, a reference to Pollyanna.

I know that I was interested enough -- the first time -- to read that first Pollyanna book -- but I don't seem to have reviewed it... My system is not perfect. In particular I seem to forget to review books which I read on my tablet. Ah well. So:

Here is a late review, from memory.

I know that I enjoyed reading Pollyanna. I enjoy The Glad Game -- I practise it and it works.

The story itself is quite simple -- and enjoyable. It seems quite obvious that Pollyanna will defeat sadness and misery. Until... the final accident. So serious, compared to the more obvious problems of the rest of the book.

By then I was very fond of Pollyanna. How will she cope mentally? Will she recover physically?

Read the book and find out. It's well worth reading. (I found my copy at Gutenberg.org, a great site for older books.) It's simple, it's fun and it's really quite good.




Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Avoid criticism: say, do and be nothing." … per Ginger Meggs

===

No comments: