Friday, December 29, 2017

The Elvenbane / Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey

The Elvenbane
(Halfblood Chronicles 1 of ?4)
by Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey

fantasy, chicklit

copyright 1991
read (again) December 2017

rated 7/10: well worth reading

I was wondering how many books are in the Elvenbane series, when I found two reviews of this first book. (I prefer to not read reviews before I write my own; all bias should be my own.) The reviews were interesting...

One review rated the book poorly, due to shallow characters and simplistic plot. The other reviewer enjoyed the book for its simple characters and straightforward plot. That is, the reviewers took the same points and interpreted them differently.

My reviews are *my* opinions. A review describes whether or not *I* enjoy a book. I have my own preferences in books. Worse yet, my preferences may change... Sometimes I want to read a light, uncomplicated book, sometimes I want more depth to my reading.

I read -- and re-read -- this book many years ago -- and enjoyed it. I have just read it for the third time -- and still enjoyed it :-) This is not to say that the book is perfect...

It was clear -- in earlier readings -- that this book would lead to sequels. Not to worry, it is a complete book in itself. This time, however, I noticed that many chapters have more to do with potential sequels than with this book. That is, several chapters add to the world view without adding to the plot. Drop those chapters and this book would appear to be complete -- but later books would need more "introductory" chapters.

Not to worry: Elvenbane is still a lot of fun. The main plot is exciting, the "extra" chapters are interesting, there are several love interests for the heroine. There is plenty of magic -- with different races having their own forms of magic. And, of course, there are dragons.

What's not to like?! This is a fantasy adventure that may be light -- but it is very enjoyable. And well worth reading.






==== Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." … Amelia Earhart

====


Virus-free. www.avast.com

No comments: