Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Cosmonaut Keep / Ken MacLeod

Cosmonaut Keep
(Engines of Light: 1 of 3)
by Ken MacLeod

science fiction

copyright 2000
started reading in December 2017

4/10: bad but could be read I must have been feeling generous)

I started reading this book. Found that I had no idea what was going on. Gave up.

There seem to be two separate stories. Possibly set many years apart. There may be a third story -- unless the Prologue is a confusing introduction to the less interesting story. Hard to tell.

One story is somewhat interesting. The other is so inexplicable -- and so uninteresting -- that I just gave up reading.

===

Interesting. I just looked at a review of this book, of the series, by a reader who liked it: "The lack of resolution or tying of any of the many loose ends will be annoying at best." So it's not a story. It's a ... monologue?

I'm glad I stopped reading.

19may18:

Picked this book up again. It took me a page or two to realise that I had attempted it before. Checked my review, googled a bit more information, tried to read a few more pages... Still had no idea what it's about. Still had no interest in finding out. Stopped reading.

My only surprise is the high ratings I gave to other books by this same author. I guess it goes to show, don't judge an author by his first attempts at writing.
06jul23: Picked it up. Started reading. Thought it was familiar.
Gave up in disgust after 3 or 4 pages. Read my original review. I'm glad I gave up.

Here's a hint to budding authors: The reader wants to find something interesting... right from the start.
Interesting characters -- right from the start -- may keep readers reading. A promising plot may hold attention.
Unrelated snippets of unexplained, possibly meaningless nonsense will just drive the readers away.





==== Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper / Flaneur
        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===



"Give a man an inch and he'll think he's a ruler" … Agent 86
====


Now much more than a clever name for a holiday journal:




No comments: