Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Word Exchange / Alena Graedon

The Word Exchange
by Alena Graedon

science fiction ?

copyright 2014
partly read in March 2017

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

I read to page 90, of 370. Put the book down for a couple of days. Restarted. Reached page 92 and read, "Yesterday they interviewed Ana, Rodney and me..." And wondered, Who's this Rodney?!

There are only half a dozen named characters and I have already forgotten one of them. I start skimming backwards, looking for the person that I thought it could be... and realise, I don't really care.

This is a wordy book. Often, cleverly wordy. With philosophical references. Hegel ! I've only just heard of him, like what he said, love to read a book which references Hegel :-) All this is not enough to make me want to read the entire book.

So far, not much has happened. There have, however, been plenty of flashbacks... The bulk of the story is in flashbacks. Stream of consciousness flashbacks. Here's a thing... oh, wait... I need to give you some background on this thing... flash... back.

From what I've read so far, the theme appears to be that our use of communication technology will destroy our ability to communicate. Fair enough. I'll take the point -- and half agree -- but I'll leave the book.

It struck me that the author is not a science fiction writer using clever literary styles and philosophical references. This is a student of literature and philosophy who has decided to write some science fiction. It may be a good literary style. As science fiction, it drags.

It's readable. Reasonably enjoyable. Just not enough happening -- really happening -- to keep my interest.



=======
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
=======

"What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?!" … poster at a B&B




No comments: