Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Dark Orbit / Carolyn Ives Gilman

Dark Orbit
by Carolyn Ives Gilman


​s
cience fiction

​copyright 2015
read in March 2017

rated 8/10: really quite good

As I finished reading this book I thought, That was a very strange book...

I can't claim to know the set standards for science fiction books but this book seems to avoid a lot of them. I can't claim to know the various standards for a "good" novel but this book seems to avoid them.

And it is good science fiction. And a good book.

The central idea is treading on the edges of mysticism. On the edge but clearly on the side of science. Science that cannot be explained (yet?), that cannot be observed nor measured. Yet is is solid science. Cutting edge science, if I understand it correctly.

There are all sorts of side issues in the book. Barely explained, lightly explored. All interesting. I do wish that some had been explored further, there could be a good book -- or several -- in just the side issues. Then the end is conclusive yet wide open.​ It just does't seem to meet the criteria of "a good novel". Yet it is.

Perhaps there could have been a bit more exploration of the side issues. A clearer finish to some of the remaining issues. Perhaps more explanation in the backstory...

Yet this is a very enjoyable book. I want more but am well satisfied with what I have read. The unexplored side issues are just that -- side issues. The central idea, works.

Forget predefined standards. (Whether I understand them or not.) I enjoyed this book.
===

24sep18: Started to re-read. It quickly seemed familiar. But:

On this reading the book simply did not appeal. Okay, I was distracted, put it down, read a bit more over several days... and never managed to get involved. In fact -- when I checked my earlier review (above) I was surprised to see a score of eight.

It must be better than my current opinion -- based on just the first couple of chapters. But today, I'm not interested in reading any further.






====
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting / Problems? Solved.
====

"Something unknown is doing we don't know what." … Arthur Eddington
   

No comments: