Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Pilo Family Circus / Will Elliott

The Pilo Family Circus
by Will Elliott

fantasy, horror

copyright 2006
read in November 2015

rated 8/10: really quite good

I've just started reading Orwell's 1984. A very minor character says, "They shouldn't oughta done that!" A Pilo Circus clown speaks the same way. Is there some deep significance in this similarity ?!

I don't know. And that's typical of the problem I have as I start to read Pilo...

I'm looking for meaning. For significance. For an allegorical reference, perhaps, to the real world. There are some snide comments on contemporary Australia. But no allegory. As far as I can tell.

Then I treat the Circus as a fantasy world. An exaggeration of some aspects of our own world but with no deeper -- no overall -- significance. That's better ! I settle back and enjoy the book.

What is the cause of my confusion ?

Elliott's Circus world is so very brand new. Sure, it's a circus. Surface familiarity, exaggerated for effect. This world is so familiar -- that I expect to find an obvious message for our own world... And I don't find that message. No wonder I'm confused :-)

As a pure fantasy, I enjoy reading this book. It's cleverly done, with slapstick clown humour taking the very short step into physical violence. Yes, the "horror" elements are very strong ! An especially enjoyable book of you never really did trust what is claimed to be entertainment in a circus...

Towards the end, there is a deeper explanation of the... reason? ... for the existence of the circus. Essential, interesting, reasonable, unusual. I like it !

And then... the standardised ending for a horror story: Massive destruction, the few survivors are happy, there is a hint that the evil will return. Pity about that final point... I don't blame the author, it's an ending that seems to be compulsory in horror stories.

I began by thinking, I'll need to give this book a bonus point for being Australian. At the end, that is not necessary.

This is an unusual, exciting, occasionally funny -- and overall good -- book.

No need for a bonus point. I'm just glad that this quite good book, is Australian.


====
"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch" ... per Ginger Meggs

   

No comments: