Sunday, November 8, 2015

Astra / Naomi Foyle

Astra
(Gaia Chronicles #1)
by Naomi Foyle

science fiction

copyright 2014
read in November 2015

rated 6... make that 7/10: well worth reading

I'm not quite certain about that rating. Read to pass the time ? Or, Well worth reading ? Oddly enough, it depends on the next book in the series...

The world of Astra is clearly divided between them and us. The "us" is a happy and loving lot of tree-huggers. Now here's my problem:

Are we being shown a shiny red apple with a nasty worm in the middle ? If that is the author's intent then I say, rubbish ! Will subsequent books allow Astra, the heroine, to remove the nasty worm and live happily ever after amongst the tree-huggers ? If so, then rubbish !

What I see is a shiny red apple skin covering rotten flesh which is full of maggots. Nothing intrinsically wrong with maggots. But the apple skin -- and the nasty worm -- will actively prevent the maggots from changing -- evolving -- into free-flying flies.

Everyone loves everyone else. Everyone supports everyone else. And if they don't, they will be buried alive or lobotomised. Or both.

This is a nasty world of slavery, social control and extreme but hidden hatred.

That's the way that I read it.

Judging by the final few chapters -- and the "bonus" chapter from the start of the next book -- that is also the way that the author sees it.

Or, does the author believe that absolute conformity is good ? That painful mutilation of children is a good thing ? That independent thinking should be prevented by social pressure or removed by lobotomy ? That the only evil worm is the refusal to spread this lifestyle to the rest of the world ?

This "book one" tells of a girl growing up within a society where only happy thoughts are allowed. It takes her most of the book to realise that strictly enforced happiness does not equal a good society.

In book two, Astra will be an adult. I hope that she will realise that the world of her childhood is rotten. If so, I will be happy. Seven out of ten is a suitable rating.

If the adult Astra is still not able to see -- to show to the reader -- that her childhood upbringing was rotten, I will return to this post and downgrade the rating...

Meanwhile... in hope... Astra is well worth reading :-)



====
Lord grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can & the friends to post my bail when I finally snap!
   

No comments: