Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Resnick's Menagerie / Mike Resnick

Resnick's Menagerie
by Mike Resnick

copyright 1977 to 2010
read in August 2015

short stories, science fiction, fantasy

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

If ever I write a story, it's a short story. I don't have the dedication to write a full novel. When it comes to reading -- I prefer a full length novel. A short story does not satisfy.

This book reminds me why a short story does not satisfy...

Stalking the Unicorn, the Vampire, the Dragon, are all funny. A series of humorous quips. So what ? There's no point to any of those stories. No plot and no unexpected twist at the end. Just a series of mild jokes hung together round a common theme.

The Elephants on Neptune has a message. A message which is lost in the convoluted double-twist ending. And by double-twist I mean, the obvious ending becomes meaningless when the exact opposite also happens.

Post Time in Pink has characters, plot, denouement. What a pity I don't understand the denouement... Perhaps if the story had been more interesting I would have tried harder ? Or perhaps I need to be a regular at the racetrack.

There are several stories with a social message. Except the messages are mixed. An anti-hunting story (I think) where the reformed hunter will teach the last surviving animal to hunt -- and kill -- humans. A story where the narrator decides that is okay, after all, to eat intelligent animals. Does hunger and over-population create a moral vacuum ?

I'm left with the impression that Resnick had no real opinions, no absolute values. He writes for one reason, to sell. This lack of belief is reflected in lightweight stories.

A lot of words thrown together in order to sell. No need for plot, no hidden depths. Just ideas which the author believes will sell.

What a pity that it seems that he is correct.



"Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps." per Ginger Meggs

No comments: