Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Ship Breaker / Paolo Bacigalupi

Ship Breaker
by Paolo Bacigalupi

science fiction, young adult

copyright 2010
read in August 2015

rated 8/10: really quite good

A near-future dystopia, almost. There's a society -- an economy -- from super rich at the top, to the impoverished dregs at the bottom. Power flows with the money...

At the start of this book I was rather uncomfortable. I value my own freedom -- freedom of thought, at the very least -- and I actually get uncomfortable at the thought of slavery. I don't want to be a slave. I don't want anyone else to be a slave. The dregs at the bottom of the Ship Breaker world are economic slaves.

And yet... they can buy their way up and out. (Or, at least, up to the top of their own local pile of dirt.) This is economic slavery: escape is possible. You can earn your freedom if -- as the hero is told -- if you are both smart and lucky.

The hero is both smart and lucky. And loyal to his friends. After the uncomfortable start, we -- the readers -- are given hope. I like that. I was able to enjoy the book :-)

Having read and finished and enjoyed the book... Only then did I notice that it is classified as "young adult fiction". Thank goodness for young adult fiction ! I have no problem with struggle... I just see no need to wallow in despair.

Okay, I did see a bit of a... lapse ? The car chase of the last few chapters was a bit heavy on the swashbuckling. (No, not really a car chase. But definitely swashbuckling.) It's boy's own adventure, after a more thoughtful first half.

Not to worry, I enjoyed it all !

And then, in the final chapter: a friendly wave which left me smiling :-)   Thank you, Paolo !

The blurb on the back says, "loyalty is scarcer". What loyalty there is -- makes this a very enjoyable story. Well worth reading and really quite good.




Persius - "We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays."
  

No comments: