Monday, August 3, 2015

Hilldiggers / Neal Asher

Hilldiggers
(Polity)
by Neal Asher

science fiction

copyright 2002
read in August 2015

rated 7/10:  well worth reading

Another rip-roaring yarn from the Polity :-)   Ultra violence, space battle, humans in genetically altered bodies... Death, immortality and a satisfactory conclusion. Neal Asher maintains his standards...

Or does he ?

The writing is just a little bit stilted. This book, I thought, could be an early Asher. The science, the style, the plot, all good. Lots of references to major Polity themes. Copyright 2002 but a post-2007 dedication. Hmmm...

Was Hilldiggers written very early, with later books providing detail of the then-unexplored Polity ? Was Hilldiggers written early -- but not published until other Polity books were successful ?

I could be wrong. But my first paragraph says all that needs saying for a book review. There is plenty of room for speculation... And I have no idea of the truth -- because I avoid reading about a book before I have written my own review.

So. Time now for research, to check my speculation.

Another enjoyable adventure from Neal Asher. With a bonus question for follow-up discovery :-)




"If your plan is for 1 year, plant rice. If your plan is for 10 years, plant trees. If your plan is for 100 years, educate children." Confucius

   

No comments: