Sunday, October 11, 2020

Highfire / Eoin Colfer

Highfire
by Eoin Colfer

fantasy, humour, subadult

copyright 2020
read in October 2020

rated 9/10: really really good

Warning: extreme violence. Also, chuckling good humour. Plus, extremely nice characters and positive messages about friendship, loyalty and the value of education. Quite a mixture!

I label this book as subadult, for younger people who can handle stories which include death and violence. A central character is a 15 year old boy, a nice kid who loves his Momma and learns a lot of life lessons.

The other key character is older. He learns lessons about putting the past behind him, and the value of friendship. He is an adult but the lessons are -- I think -- aimed at subadult readers.

Lessons? Don't worry. This is not a preachy book. Any lessons are just the characters winning battles and improving their lives.

The villain is another bonus. Oh, he is evil, no doubt about that. He is evil, clever, powerful. Almost a super-villain. Only the best efforts will defeat him, he is a worthy opponent. The villain allows the nice people to shine.

I can see -- and hope for -- more books with these characters. Including one who died, I bet he can return :-) Meanwhile, I thought, perhaps this author has written other books?

Good grief! he writes Artemis Fowl! I've heard the name but not read the books. A situation which I intend to change, as soon as possible.

===

09sep21:

Inspired by HighFire I did read an Artemis Fowl book, by the same author.

And was horribly disappointed :-(

One website says that HighFire is an adult book. More for older teens, really. A lot of fun even for older readers.


Artemis Fowl is for children. Artemis himself is a nasty creep.

I read two Fowl books Each book rated 6/10: readable. I did not really enjoy either book. Possibly because my expectations were so high after HighFire. Enough said.

Perhaps I should consider the signature quote, below, that came with this review :-)


Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

"When someone does something wrong, don't forget all of the things they did right." ... anonymous

   

No comments: