Monday, October 19, 2020

Artemis Fowl / Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl
(Artemis Fowl #1)
by Eoin Colfer

subadult, fantasy

copyright 2001
read in October 2020

rated 6/10: read to pass the time

When I read -- and thoroughly enjoyed -- Highfire I wondered, has this bloke written anything else? And found Artemis Fowl. I'd heard the name. Time to read the books.

This book is, I believe, the first in the series. It's good... but not terrific. In my opinion.

The world is great. Good fun. Believable, in a fantasy sense.

The characters are still developing. I like them but I believe that I will like them more in future books, as they continue to develop.

I enjoyed this book. It makes me want to read more. I believe that the books will be even better as the series continues.

===


17dec20: The Artemis Fowl series is famous. I expected it to rate very well. I only rated this one as six. So, I read it again. Now I understand why I gave a fairly average rating: the book is rather nasty.


There is no sympathy for characters other than the main players. Some dockworkers, for example: They are beaten up, simply to provide a distraction. They are not nasty people, they are drawn as stupid. They are innocent bystanders who are treated like dirt.


That's the feeling at several points: minor characters are dirt. Just an attitude of power: I am better -- more powerful -- than you therefore you can be treated badly. It is enough to give me an uncomfortable feeling. So -- for this attack on reader enjoyment -- the book rates a six.


btw: This is not a book for young children. There is too much death and violence.




Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

"When someone does something wrong, don't forget all of the things they did right." ... anonymous

   

No comments: