Monday, June 10, 2024

The Disasters, M.K.England

The Disasters
by Megan M.K.England
(has to be #1 of several...)
subadult, science fiction
The cover made me expect humour. No, it's adventure.

copyright 2018
read in May 2024
rated 7/10: well worth reading

That rating is for *my* enjoyment.
The publisher is "Harper Teen", this is definitely a book for teens. There is teen angst. Directly related to the plot is, Yes we are saving millions of lives but does that entitle us to steal things? That is a surprising -- but valid -- question. Similar plots seldom directly question the ethics of law-breaking for the greater good. But these are nice, clever, honest kids, they have never before deliberately broken the law.
The plot itself is not great but entertaining. Remember when Star Wars was criticised for being "just" a Western set in space? Well this book could be a bunch of teens driving a hotted-up jalopy from town to town... except it's a hotted-up spaceship flying from planet to planet.
Hey! It works for me :-)

But the characters: At first I was thinking, I don't like these people. A bunch of losers, as predicted by the title -- but they, mostly the main hero, spend too much time thinking, Oh no I can't do this I'll crash and kill everyone. And they all tend to cry under pressure, good grief.
As I read further I thought, hang on, this is not your traditional gang of teens. This is a far more modern... gender-diverse, racially-diverse group, with a lot of, well, quite traditional teen hang-ups.
The gender-diverse threw me. Then I got to know the individuals, especially the hero. Yes, they lack self-confidence -- because they have made mistakes. Yes, they cry easily -- because that's how they are.
Eventually, the group tackles the well-crafted challenge and use their amazingly unbelievable computer skills -- plus some very unlikely sneaking round without being spotted -- and they set themselves up for further books.
Good fun with an extra good fun ending.

Oh. If the author happens to read this: As the hero develops their leadership skills -- they spend too much time telling us that that is what they are doing. Perhaps just show, with less tell.

I ended up enjoying this book. But there is a clear reason for rating it seven (rather than six, read to pass the time).
As I read, and learnt more about the characters, I realised, there is no character to whom I can particularly relate. Which made me realise: Okay... Now I understand why people say that they want a book (or movie) starring people who are more like themselves.
I am not gender-diverse. Nor racially-diverse. Nor even a teen. I kept looking for a character -- more like me.
And that is why it took me quite a while to enjoy the reading.
So -- lesson learned, in an enjoyable way. Thank you.



 

Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
===

Bandaid solutions hurt when they are removed.

...Dying for you to Read my blog: notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com


No comments: