Saturday, June 3, 2023

phoenix falling, laura bickle

phoenix falling
(wildlands 5 of 5)
by Laura Bickle
fantasy

rated 6/10:

For key characters, magic is an accepted part of their everyday life. For others, magic is a symptom of their insanity. And magic is everywhere. With a few people staunchly refusing to see it.
The magic is varied, there is no central method of magic, it varies with the individual. Which is a lot of fun.
Most characters are neither good nor bad but a realistic mix. One character in particular seemed to me to be good but everyone else thought he was bad. I would have understood him better if I had read the earlier books. That said, I read this book as a standalone -- and it was enjoyable and complete. Although... As I finished, I did wonder if it was a rather weak to be continued. But no, I now believe that loose ends are tied up, that supposedly dead characters will not reappear in a next book. Which makes this a very satisfying book, with a solid conclusion both for the book and for the series.

An enjoyable book. If I find other earlier books, I will be glad. But if I don't, well I won't be terribly upset... which is, in fact, a sign that the characters are well introduced in this final book.

.


--
Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...

===

If everyone is thinking the same way, then someone is not thinking.

No comments: