Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Lord of the Changing Winds, Rachel Neumeier

Lord of the Changing Winds
(The Griffin Mage #1
by Rachel Neumeier

fantasy

rated 7/10: ####

So far, I've read about two thirds of this book. I've enjoyed it so far. I'm not sure if I will finish it.

First, a heroine who is (if my understanding is vaguely correct) mildly autistic. This makes her a sympathetic, rather likeable, character. There are signs that she will develop, develop her strengths and her ability to decide, to do. So far... she is rather boring.


Now the stronger characters, kings and such, have discovered where she has gone, what has happened to her. And no-one thinks to tell her family, the sister who is left at home, grieving. This is unforgiveable.

Now the major character (who may be a hero) is faced with  a moral dilemma. He has chosen the easy but immoral path. Yes, with great regret but...he has lost my support.
I was enjoying the book. In particular I appreciate the griffins: the author makes them understandable -- yet still completely non-human.

The book is easy reading. Lyrical, almost poetic in style. The characters are likeable, sympathetic. Unfortunately, the "hero" seems set on a nasty, not evil just nasty, path. Which I do not enjoy. It's purely my personal preference: if he goes from bad to worse, I will stop reading.
I read for enjoyment.

Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
===


The stupid person says, "It's impossible". The smart person says, "It's possible, if we can get enough stupid people to do it." (Alfred E. Neuman)


pwMapAppreadMe)


No comments: