Wednesday, February 22, 2023

iPad for Seniors

iPad for Seniors
published 2016

rated 2/10: unreadably bad

The book starts with what reads like excerpts from an Apple glossy brochure. Oh gosh how terrific is this device.
The book brags about the simplicity of "instantly on". Really? Once the device times out you need to (1) tap to wake up(*) (2)rotate to get the white bar at the bottom (3)swipe up (4)fingerprint ID (5) and sometimes type a PIN.
Whatever happened to an on/off switch?

(*) Okay, I may have switched off the way that the device wants to turn on when you look at it. I don't want the bloody thing turning on just because I looked at it. I do not want to be trained like one of Pavlov's dogs.

Then the book describes functions of the Home button and the App Switcher window. It seems that the Home button has been removed since 2016.

That useful window? Open it with a double-tap of the now-missing Home button, no other explanation.
====

This out-of-date information is followed by more excerpts from Apple glossies: models, memory and so on.

The book can't help that the devices have changed.
But it gets worse.
The book is full of jargon. "for Seniors" ?!
Lightning connector (is that a USB or charging cable?) SIM-card tray? widgets? Retina display screens?

Okay, there are lots of simple explanations. Unfortunately I own an iPad and I find it to be annoyingly unusable and steeped in apple-jargon. Do it the Apple way or... forget it. Apple does it *this* way -- with no explanation.
So I don't like the device. Telling me how simple it is... is not going to work. Repeating text from glossies... helps even less.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Yesterday I knew nothing. Today I know that." ... per Ginger Meggs

use pwMapApp to explore for pwLoons


pwMap # Quick Start (pwmapapp.blogspot.com)


No comments: