Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Age of Ash, Daniel Abraham

Age of Ash, 
(Kithamar #1)
by Daniel Abraham (aka James SA Corey)

fantasy
copyright 2022
read in November 2022

rated 4/10: bad but could be read

Solid world-building and not much else.

An immense number of words spent describing a city-state, its citizens and their day-by-day lives.

Hordes of characters. None of them worth knowing.
Okay, one sympathetic character. Surrounded by creeps, nasties and low-lifes. Yes, an overall hint of community support but it doesn't help, everyone is so grindingly poor that good will is pointless.

Finally, the evil centre of the city is explained -- I almost missed it, I was so sick and tired of the tedious prose that I was skimming. Clearly, the author was paid by the word.

Then... finally... the book ends. The story, unfortunately, does not end. Some characters have moved on, others just disappeared. Overall, the city is unchanged.
And the evil villain is waiting round the corner, waiting for the author to bore us with two more volumes. Supposedly a trilogy but I doubt it. I suspect that the author will not be content with a mere three books of incredible tedium. I won't hold my breath. But I will remember the author's name -- and his pseudonym -- and hope to avoid his future boring nonsense.



Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

"Yesterday I knew nothing. Today I know that." ... per Ginger Meggs

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: