Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy/Douglas Adams

Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy/Douglas Adams
humour, science fiction

copyright 1979 read (again) October 2022
rated 7/10: well worth reading

My wife was watching the TV version, I was inspired to re-read the book. A good decision :-)

An absolute highlight on TV is the voice of Marvin. As I read, I read in that voice, it made the book even better.

And yet...
Rated seven. Surely it's worth more?
No. Because the humour is cruel.
There is a nasty, cutting... insulting... edge to it. Irony has turned to sarcasm.
And Arthur always loses.

This is a constant theme of almost all the books in the series: Arthur loses.
This takes the edge off my enjoyment.
Yes, this book is a classic of humour.
Yes, I enjoyed reading it.
But no, it is *not* "really good. Because it is rather unpleasant.


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

If you always see your glass as half empty, try getting a smaller glass. (Alfred E. Neuman)

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: