Monday, August 2, 2021

Pirates of Venus / Edgar Rice Burroughs

Pirates of Venus 
(Carson Napier #1)
by Edgar Rice Burroughs
fantasy
copyright 1932
read in August 2021

rated 4/10: bad but could be read

Now that's interesting...
Ten years ago I read this book (along with Venus #2). In the review I rated the pair as "seven". This time I rate book #1 as only four!

What has changed? My own attitude, probably.

This time I see the book as being ridiculous -- which is fine. It's that type of book... though not, I now believe, a "space opera". In space opera the science -- and the characters -- should be constantly growing. On Amtor (ie Venus) the hero moves location... discovers new humanoids and monsters... but fights with the same weapons. Oh... and the science is so ridiculous that... well, I'll call it fantasy.

So far, it sounds like a seven... Except that the hero is so very very stupid. His attitudes are dated. No worries. But he is so sloooww to spot the obvious villain. To work out how various characters have disappeared. This hero is an idiot!

Oh well. It's bad. But -- ten years ago I rated it as well worth reading.

You can read it. And... you may well enjoy it. I did. Ten years ago :-)


Dr Nick Lethbridge / Consulting Dexitroboper
...        Agamedes Consulting / Problems ? Solved
===

One joy scatters a hundred griefs" ... Chinese proverb

===

Dying for you to read my blog, at https://notdotdeaddotyet.blogspot.com/ :-)

No comments: