Monday, February 1, 2021

A Symphony of Echoes / Jodi Taylor

A Symphony of Echoes
(Chronicles of St Mary's #2)
by Jodi Taylor

science fiction, humour

copyright 2015
read in January 2021

rated 8/10: really quite good

I hesitated over that rating. Considered seven, well worth reading... but no... I really enjoyed the book. And I rate on my enjoyment.

Book one was ludicrous humour with lots of action -- and I was surprised by the occasional tragedy. In this book the mix has the same style of humour but far less of it. Enough to classify it as humour but humour is not the main theme.

This book is an adventure through time and history. Separately. There is villainy afoot within St Mary's, this generates a time travel adventure. Then the villainy is tracked to actual history and the adventurous historians travel to meet Queen Mary in historic Scotland.

The Scottish adventure shows the author's enjoyment of history. There is fun, there is raglan(*), there is enough "real" history to get me reading Wikipedia. (I now know a lot more about Bothwell.)

(*) No, there is no raglan. I have no idea what I tried to type. Stupid swype keyboard typed raglan. Whatever it was meant to be, there was plenty of it.

I think, if my rating was dispassionate this book would rate a seven. Because I enjoyed it... it's an eight.


Nick Lethbridge    /    Consulting Dexitroboper
Agamedes Consulting    /   Problems? Solved.
   ===

We are here and it is now. After that, everything tends towards guesswork... Didactylos in Small Gods
   

No comments: